One date with the Cruise 10 and I fell in love…

So, while at the Outdoor Retailer trade show recently I was able to take out the Cruise 10 during our demo day. In full disclosure I have wanted a smaller kayak than the Coosa for some time because I do love to explore small creeks and I’ve also wanted a good boat for my niece and nephew to grow into once they outgrow their mini tripper. Plus, there is something just cool about a boat that is so small, simple and easy to transport. It just makes you want to GO PADDLING! I know my sister (5’2ish) will also be a big fan of a boat that will fit her too!

Now, onto my initial review of the Cruise 10. Of course it isn’t as fast as its 12 foot big brother, but it still moves good enough for most paddling scenarios, especially casual fishing (meaning, not tournaments). As long as you know how to paddle, you can pretty much keep any kayak or paddleboard straight and this was no different on the Cruise 10 – solid, consistent paddle strokes parallel with the sides of the kayak made it track great, even once you glide from your final stroke. If you haven’t learned to paddle well, or don’t have the proper length paddle (240cm ish) then it will be a little less forgiving than the Cruise 12 or Cuda line. If I did have to compare how it paddles to any of the Jackson boats it is certainly most like the Coosa in the fact that its easy to turn and just feels very “sporty” on the water. I was turing in circles with just a few paddle strokes and dreaming about how easy this would be to take down so many good creeks that NO ONE is fishing throughout the country.

Look, catching “big” fish is certainly fun, but so is just catching fish! Creeks are the #1 easiest place to get bit and show someone a good time while kayak fishing. The less pressured, the better the bite will be; it is one cool feeling knowing that that fish has never seen a lure before! Similarly, small ponds that don’t get much pressure are also the perfect areas to drop a Cruise 10 in.

I know in the College Kayak Fishing series I run that many of the students talk about “storage” issues with longer kayaks. If you do live in a dorm, condo, apartment, parent’s basement etc, the Cruise 10 just might be your solution!

Back to some of the specs, one thing I like that we’ve done on this kayak is make it a little wider than the Cruise 12 so that it still has good stability in order to stand and fish. I was walking all around the boat with no problem as you can see in the video. It still has the elite seat with hi/lo seating, child “jump seat,” stand assist strap, day hatch, front hatch, large tankwell, Nalgene/water bottle holder, adjustable foot pegs, paddle holder and they all come GoPro and RAM ready!! Angler versions will come with a RAM rod holder and a cool camo color of your choice.

Length (ft, in) 10′ 3″
Width (in) 32.5″
Height (in) 14″

Check out the short Cruise 10 video where I show off a bit of what it can do!

Comments on “One date with the Cruise 10 and I fell in love…”

1. Donald Elliott
    August 10, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Is the Cruise “rudder ready”

I fish a small rocky river, but has pools a mile long, the rudder would be nice for drifting.

1. August 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Donald,
      The Cruise is not rudder ready, however if there is a will there is a way. Lots of companies make after market rudders and I am sure one could be added.

Jameson

2. Bob
    August 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

What are the available colors for the Cruise 10 Angler? When does Jackson update to 2014 colors?

Bob

3. Owen Waight
    August 18, 2013 at 6:19 am

I would really like to see more footage of the ability to stand up in the yak…

1. August 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Hey Owen, they are just now starting to ship to dealers so you’ll soon start to see them on the water and people posting videos of their stability. It is actually very stable for a 10ft kayak because it is 32.5 inches wide. We did this on purpose because we wanted people to be comfortable standing and in our hi seat position. Maybe go test one out at your local dealer as soon as they get theirs in?

4. monty jenkins
    September 15, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I really like the looks of this kayak yesterday I had a Cruise 12 out for a demo fine boat but I would like something that turns easier I think the 10 may just be the boat for me my Jackson dealer Beyond Boundaries in Searcy AR should have the 10 any day now one with my name on it the hi lo seat is greay

1. September 16, 2013 at 12:52 am

Should have the ten anytime now! I would think that would be perfect for you if you are looking for it to be a bit more maneuverable!
      Hope that helps
      Emily Jackson

1. monty jenkins
        October 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm

going today ti pick up my Cruise 10

1. monty jenkins
          November 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I am very happy with my Cruise 10 couldn’t ask for a better boat for my needs

5. Brian
    October 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm

how does the Cruise 10 compare to the Cuda? In handling, stability, etc.

6. Brian
    October 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Actually I meant to ask how the Cruise 10 compared to the Coosa.

1. November 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Hey Brian,

They are certainly similar, but I would say to get down to your local dealer to feel them out for yourself. I’ve only paddled the Cruise 10 for about 3 minutes, but they are similar in maneuverability, I do feel the Coosa is a little more stable, but that is likely because that is the kayak I use 90 percent of the time and am just used to it. Like I said stop by your local dealer and compare them for yourself.

7. Paddlers Report
    October 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Jackson kayaks makes a great line of whitewater and touring kayaks. Now adding to their line is the sit on top which are great for fishing. Visit Paddlers Report and write a kayak review for your favorite Jackson kayak.