James McBeath 16/01/2015 | Posted in Canada, Internationalization, Press Releases, Recreational/Touring
Jackson Kayak is Finalist for Outdoor Industry “Inspiration Award” as an 11-Year-Old Family Run Business Sharing Spotlight With Patagonia, Coleman and is also a finalist in the Made in America Awards!
Jackson Kayak is the youngest of three manufacturers vying for the Outdoor Industry’s prestigious annual Innovation Award. The family owned and operated kayak manufacturing company is competing for the award against industry stalwarts Patagonia, Inc. and Coleman Company, Inc.
The Outdoor Inspiration Awards celebrate and champion individuals, groups, and companies whose efforts go above and beyond in inspiring and encouraging others in their communities to enjoy, participate in, and support outdoor activities.
“Jackson Kayak/Orion Coolers is proud to be considered alongside iconic brands as Patagonia and Coleman as a finalist in the manufacturing category for the Outdoor Retailer Inspiration Award,” said company founder and president Eric Jackson. “We are doubly honored to be a finalist in the Made in America Outdoor Awards. As relatively new American manufacturer, being honored twice in one year among industry giants is something that we appreciate and hope will inspire others to make their products locally and strive to innovate and excel in the marketplace.”
A relative newcomer compared to Coleman, founded in 1900 and Patagonia which launched in 1973; Jackson Kayak’s sold its first boats in 2004. The following are the Top 6 reasons Jackson Kayak enjoys a reputation as an industry leader and innovator:
- One of the first two products the company launched with in the marketplace included a child-specific performance kayak, the Fun 1, that literally cut in half the age at which children could perform the skills necessary for whitewater river running and play boating.
- Created and administers the first global recreational event series and communications platform, World Kayak.
- Launched the world’s largest compendium of paddlesports instructional videos and tips for whitewater, touring, and fishing at com.
- Employs user-designed innovation to create top-selling models of kayaks starting with deep roots in whitewater to partnering exclusively with other American made brands to innovate add new components to kayaks to help propel the explosive growth of kayak fishing.
- Pioneering the emerging sport of kayak duck hunting with the debut in 2015 of the Realtree Kilroy, a kayak that doubles as a duck blind
- In 2014, launched Orion Coolers, one of the toughest coolers on the market for outdoor enthusiasts and sportsmen and women.
Jackson Kayak’s approach to design was featured in an MSNBC newscast “Your Business” roundup of companies whose products are the result of user-designed innovation. Jackson Kayak new product launches have been included in dozens of must-have new gear roundups in print and online enthusiast publications and more mainstream media such as Men’s Journal.
Winners of both Outdoor Industry’s Inspiration and Made in America awards will be announced during the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market in Salt Lake City, Jan. 22 – 25.
About Jackson Kayak. Founded in 2003 by Whitewater Hall of Famer Eric Jackson, family-owned and American-made, Jackson Kayak is the world’s leader in the design and manufacturing of whitewater kayaks and kayak fishing boats. The company also produces recreational and touring kayaks for paddlers of all ages. For complete information about the company’s products and lifestyle, visit the Jackson Kayak website. Jackson Kayak also founded World Kayak, a hub for the latest news, kayak events and conversations around the world and Paddle Education, the leading online portal for instructional videos and tips for kayaking of all kinds including fishing, touring, whitewater, creekboating, and stand up paddling.